30 July, 2008

ROFL!


Sometimes I surprise myself with how good I am at some things. One thing I am good at is panning. The image above is one of my favorite panned shots, of Nate taking his first "dive" off of a 3-meter platform. Exposure was 1/80s at f/4.5 and ISO800. (For folks who care, this was 60mm on a DX body, so 90mm 35mm-equivalent). Oddly enough, another of my favorite panned shots is of another Nate in mid-vault. I'll undoubtedly have that here at some point.

Anyway, the actual subject of this post deals with the title, which is (without the exclamation point) the title of a side project I've been hacking on tonight, instead of packing for my trip to MIT in 4 hours.

My favorite programming language, ruby, is extremely good for writing domain-specific languages. That said, a pair of quotes from #ruby-lang on irc.freenode.net explains all. The first is from two or three weeks ago:
< xsdg> philomory: talking about ruby or lolcode? :o)
< philomory> Rubylolz
< philomory> I.CAN_HAZ(CheezeBurger)
< philomory> excuse me, I.CAN_HAZ?(CheezeBurger)
< xsdg> haha
< xsdg> oh, god.  I have a horrible idea, but ruby is way too good for
        DSLs to just ignore it...
< ddfreyne> NO!

And the second, about an hour ago:
< xsdg> $ruby -rofl -e '
< xsdg> > HAI
< xsdg> > CAN HAS STDIO?
< xsdg> > VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
< xsdg> > KTHXBYE'
< xsdg> HAI WORLD!
< erikh> heh, you're writing a lolcode parser?
< erikh> niiice.
< xsdg> erikh: not a parser
< xsdg> erikh: that LOLCode is _valid ruby_
< erikh> oh god.

No comments: