16 May, 2011

Vegas: Bouchon Bistro

During a recent trip to Las Vegas, I and the folks I visited with had dinner at Bouchon Bistro, a French-style restaurant. Owner Thomas Keller writes an interesting description: "A Bouchon can be, and should be, whatever you need it to be. It's a casual place, a social place, a place where people come to relax talk and to eat. A kind of home."
The restaurant served us rolls that were somewhat reminiscent of a prickly pear cactus, in how each successive roll seemed to grow from the top of the prior one. They were warm and delicious.
One of the other people ordered a steak, but the thing that struck me most about the plate was the non-serrated steak knife.
Given that it was a French-style restaurant, I ended up ordering a croque madame, one of a variety of foods I had learned about years ago while I was learning French. It was surprisingly filling, given the size, and I didn't come anywhere close to finishing the mountain of pommes frites.

2 comments:

kershaw knives said...

perhaps the steak was tender and the knife was sharp enough to cut through it.

Doppler Photo said...

kershaw: sorry I forgot to moderate your comment for so long. That said, I typically find that straight knives make a cleaner cut, but at the same time they have a lot more drag when cutting through springy things like meat and cheese.

With serrated knives (especially _sharp_ serrated knives), it seems to take less effort to cut through those sorts of things, since you don't have to sort of spread it with your fork as you cut. (Of course, it leaves a much rougher edge than the straight knife would).